Understanding the Toxic Ten
When you shop for your products, do you take the time to read labels? And even if you do, do you truly understand the information you’re getting? A lot of times, we purchase products without knowing what they’re made of and put ourselves at risk of using harmful chemicals and components that could cause greater problems in the future.
It’s important to make sure that the products you have at home are all free from harmful chemicals to keep your family safe and healthy – and the environment, too. Want to find out what toxic components might be lurking in your house? Read on to find out more.
Top 10 Toxic Chemicals Found in Hair & Beauty Products
1. 1,4-Dioxane – This isn’t technically supposed to be part of the formulation, but it can wiggle its way into your products (particularly those that lather) during production. 1,4-dioxane is usually found in Sodium Laureth Sulfate which is used in shampoo, toothpaste, and body wash, and has been identified as a skin irritant and carcinogenic.
2. Artificial Musks – These are usually seen in fragrances, hair products, cosmetics, and other body care products even if they’re unscented. This particular component poses a threat not only to your endocrine system, but also to the environment.
3. Coal Tar Derived Colours – Found in hair dyes, this toxic chemical has been identified as a major cause of allergies. It is also a recognized neurotoxin and a potential carcinogenic.
4. BHA & BHT – BHA and BHT are commonly found in many different types of lotions, creams, moisturizers, and cosmetics and pose a threat to individual’s endocrine system. They have also been identified as allergens and developmental toxicants.
5. Formaldehyde Releasing Agents – This common endocrine disruptor and immune system toxicant is found in numerous hair care products, lotions, creams, moisturizers, and cosmetics.
6. Petrolatum – Petrolatum on its own isn’t actually a threat, but when it becomes contaminated with PAHs, it turns into a carcinogen, a skin allergen, and skin irritant.
7. Parabens – Found in various types of cosmetics and moisturizers, parabens are a well-known male reproductive toxicant, allergen, immune system toxicant, and endocrine disruptor.
8. Phthalates – If there’s anyone with asthma in your home, make sure you leave any products that contain phthalates out of your space. This contaminant has been linked to asthma-related allergies as well as reproductive and developmental toxicants and endocrine disruptors.
9. Silicone Chemicals – One of the most common environmental pollutants and skin irritants, silicone chemicals are often found in hair products, shampoos, conditioners, and cosmetics.
10. Triclosan – If you’ve got anything labelled “anti-bacterial,” make sure you check for this component. Triclosan is a common environmental contaminant and endocrine disruptor that could cause significant harm with prolonged exposure and use.
WORLD Hair and Skin products are 100% free of all items on the toxic ten list. Every product is all-natural, fragrance-free, and gluten-free. We believe professional results don’t have to come at the expense of healthy ingredients.