When visiting our website, you may have noticed the “Just Beautiful Pledge” mark at the bottom of our homepage. The Just Beautiful Campaign is an initiative by Environmental Defense Canada to spread awareness about toxic chemicals and promote companies that make safe and effective beauty products. You may not know this, but I serve on the Just Beautiful Campaign Cabinet, and this cause is very close to my heart.
Every day, Canadians harm their bodies and the environment by using soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and deodorant laced with toxic ingredients– and it doesn’t have to be this way. We have to take a stand and work together to make everyday products safer, better, and more sustainable.
The Toxic Ten
Environmental Defense has identified these ten common chemicals as the most concerning ingredients found in personal care products. These chemicals have been linked to a long list of health concerns, like allergies, cancer, birth defects, and infertility, in addition to environmental concerns. There are safer alternatives to all of these chemicals, you just have to make the choice.
- 1,4-Dioxine (found in shampoo, toothpaste, and bodywash)
- Artificial Musks (found in scented products, even some labelled “unscented”)
- Coal Tar Derived Colours (found in hair dye)
- BHA & BHT (found in moisturizers, makeup, some fragrances)
- Formaldehyde-Releasing Agents (found in hair products, moisturizers, cosmetics)
- Petrolatum (found in lip, skin, and hair products)
- Parabens (found in cosmetics and moisturizers)
- Phthalates (found in cosmetics and moisturizers)
- Silicone Chemicals (found in hair products, moisturizers, cosmetics)
- Triclosan (found in antiperspirants, deodorants, cleansers, hand sanitizers)
At WORLD Hair & Skin, we have taken the Just Beautiful Pledge. This means that we only carry products that fully disclose all ingredients on the label, and none of our products contain any of the “Toxic Ten” ingredients.
Making a Change
Everyone has a right to know what they are putting in/on their bodies and to make informed choices. I learned this lesson the hard way, after I developed a severe case of contact dermatitis on my hands over 20 years ago (time flies!). Medical treatments (steroidal creams) only made my condition worse. It turned out that hair products I was using on a daily basis in the salon were the culprit. From that point forward, I made it my mission to create skin care products and hair care products that were safe and healthy for everyone to use. The Just Beautiful Campaign aligns so strongly with my belief that everyone deserves to look beautiful without toxic exposure.
What can you do to make a difference? Like Environmental Defense Canada on Facebook. Sign the “Just Beautiful” petition. Make a donation to the campaign. Demonstrate that in #yourWORLD, beauty stands apart from harmful chemicals.